Call For Papers
The goal of the Doctoral Symposium is to engage PhD researchers that work in the field of software architecture to actively participate in and contribute to the 14th European Conference on Software Architecture (ECSA 2020). During the symposium, PhD researchers will interact closely with established researchers in the field; receive feedback on their research and get advice on managing their research. The symposium will also help participants to establish a network with their peers in the field of software architecture. The program will feature a keynote that will shine light on the particular challenges of doing PhD research in the field of software architecture.
The technical scope of the Doctoral Symposium is that of ECSA 2020, as represented by the list of the topics in the ECSA 2020 call for papers. We encourage submissions from PhD researchers at any stage of their research. Based on the submissions, the program committee will invite a group of PhD researchers to give a presentation, presenting a poster, and interacting with senior researchers.
To participate at the Doctoral Symposium, a submission package needs to be submitted by the submission deadline consisting of two parts: a research summary paper and a letter of recommendation.
Part 1: Research summary paper
The paper (max 9 pages in LNCS style) should cover the following aspects:
- The research problem to be solved and its relevance in the software architecture field;
- A discussion of related work with an explaining why the research problem has not been solved yet
- The scientific methods used to tackle the research problem
- An outline of the proposed solution
- The expected results
- A plan for the evaluation of results;
- A critical reflection on the work.
The research summary paper needs to be submitted electronically (PDF) via the ECSA2020 submission site.
Part 2: Letter of Recommendation (max 1 page)
The recommendation letter is written by the advisor(s). This letter should include the submission number of the research summary paper, the name of the candidate, an appreciation of the PhD research, the status of the research, and an expected date for the dissertation submission. The advisor(s) should send the signed recommendation letter in pdf format to the Doctoral Symposium chairs via email (start the subject with [ECSA DS]).
All submissions must be formatted according to the Springer Communications in Computer and Information Science (CCIS) format.
The Doctoral Symposium Committee will use the following criteria to select submissions:
- The originality of the proposed research, the novelty of the research approach, and relevance to ECSA 2019;
- The technical quality of the submission, e.g., clarity, precision, and adequacy of the problem statement, related work, scientific methods, presentation of the solution, expected results, evaluation plan and critical reflection.
The accepted papers will be included in the ECSA 2020 companion volume to be published by Springer CCIS.
- Research Summary and Letter Recommendation Submission: June 10, 2020
- Notification of Decision: June 29, 2020
- Camera-Ready version: July 10, 2020
Note: All deadlines are 23:59h AoE (anywhere on Earth).